The following categories of people are eligible to apply for Singapore Citizenship:
• A person who is at least 21 years of age and has been a Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) for at least 2 to 6 years prior to the date of application. An applicant who wishes to apply on his/her own merits may come for a preliminary assessment interview after 1 year of permanent residence.
• Spouse of Singapore Citizen with a minimum of 2-year residence as a PR and married for at least 2 years preceding the date of application.
• Child born outside Singapore where at least one parent is a Singapore Citizen.
An overseas-born minor (child) may be eligible for Singapore Citizenship by Descent under Article 122(1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, if his/her parents meet any of the following conditions:
1. Male Singapore citizen by Birth who has a lawful marriage at time of minor’s birth
2. Male Singapore citizen by Registration who has a lawful marriage at time of minor’s birth and minor does not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country
3. Female Singapore citizen by Birth and minor born on or after 15 May 2004
4. Female Singapore citizen by Registration and minor born on or after 15 May 2004. Minor shall not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country
5. Male (who has a lawful marriage at time of minor’s birth) or Female Singapore citizen by Descent has to declare their residence period in Singapore. The application can only be accepted if the parent fulfils the requirements stipulated in the Annex.
The application has to be submitted within one year of the child’s birth. Otherwise, a letter of explanation and additional documents are required for the late submission.
All applicants for citizenship must be of good character, have satisfied the residential requirement and have the intention to reside permanently in Singapore. They must also be able to support themselves and their dependents financially.
Information taken from Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=132#eligibility)